In order to facilitate access to sources of information available and to meet the needs of faculty, researchers and students, ISC has a library specializing in collective health, with on-line access to international bibliographic consultation and an almost entirely computerized collection. The two IT in Health (LIS) and Audio and Video (LAV) laboratories also contribute to student learning.
The ISC library started to be a part of the Area II library group in June 2011, under the responsibility of the Federal University of Bahia Library System (SIBI), a supplementary body created through University Council Resolution Nº 03/09, responsible for operating the UFBA library system.
The specialized collection on collective health, with approximately 10,000 items including books, theses, dissertations, periodicals, leaflets, reprints and others, is available for consultation and/or loan through the SIBI-UFBA system (http://www.pergamum.bib.ufba.br).
The library takes part as a collaborative centre in the BIREME network, contributing by strengthening BVS Public Health Brazil. It provides online national and international bibliographic switching services through the Bireme Copy Switch System (SCAD).
In keeping with the open access to scientific information movement, ISC has been developing information and knowledge management strategies by using IT and communication tools, with the principal aim of promoting and disseminating access to technical and
scientific information produced within the domain of the Collective Health Graduation Programme, Collective Health Undergraduate Programme and Integrated Programmes, such as the Digital Thesis and Dissertation Library – BDTD (http://www.bdtd.ufba.br) and ISC Community Repository (https://repositorio.ufba.br/ri/handle/ufba/523).
LIS is the sector responsible for maintaining ISC’s computer structure, gathering together IT equipment and specialized programs for data processing in collective health. The physical structure of LIS includes two training rooms with internet access, the availability of various applications commonly used in the area of collective health, such as TabWin 3.x, Epi Info, Epidata and Stata, among others, and a multi-media projector.
- Maintenance and update of the ISC computer structure and IT network;
- Participation on the ISC Ethics in Research Committee as an alternate member;
- Participant on the Interagency Network of Health Information (RIPSA) for the State of Bahia, as a member of its Executive Secretariat and the Management Committee for Indicators of Morbidity and Risk Factors. The aim of this network is to define and qualify a matrix of data and indicators of various areas of knowledge which will serve as a reference to analyze the health situation and its determinants in Bahia;
- Member of the Observatory of Violence and Accidents of the State of Bahia, a State Health Department (Sesab) initiative which brings various institutions together in order to systematize, consolidate and analyze information with a view to learning more about the situation of violence and accidents in the state and their determinants;
- Collect and consolidate information related to activities of the ISC sectors and programmes to prepare the annual management report and carry out the institute’s staff census;
- Update and maintain the ISC site and electronic board;
- Member of the Technical Group created to give visibility to ISC’s scientific production, with a view to defining the routines and mechanisms for its insertion in the UFBA Repository;
- Manage the process for using the LIS training rooms (bookings);
- Maintain and update the Salvador address geo-referencing program – LOCALIZA;
- Maintain and implement the LIS intranet;
- Discussion on the main national databases and tools to access them with students starting Master’s and Doctorate courses;
- Orientate undergraduate and graduate students with regards to the organization of databases to prepare monographies, dissertations and theses.
The ISC Video and Audio Sector, with the capacity to produce educational videos, performs ISC’s education and research activities and those of other institutions with which the institution has a partnership. LAV is an audio-visual production centre specialized in health and education which has the following basic mission: documenting activities of a scientific and academic nature, such as congresses, research and extension activities; producing teaching materials for use on the courses and producing educational videos for social intervention.